05 Dec HEALTH BENEFITS, USES AND SIDE EFFECTS OF PICKLES
Health benefits of pickles – Pickles can be found in almost every Indian kitchen. Pickles add a fresh, crunchy and tangy flavor to our diet. A variety of pickles are available in the market now. Pickles are one of the best additions to food recipes because of their exquisite hot flavor. They even have a high concentration of vitamins. People have considered pickles to be a healthy food for centuries and it has been in use for ages.
Even our grandmothers used to serve homemade pickle in their families. Pickles are something that we consume every day and which is used worldwide let it be the famous Indian mango pickle or best lemon pickle. But do pickle really have nutritional values? Do they cause any side effects? What are the actual benefits of pickles? Can one can buy fresh pickle online?
Nutritional Value of Pickle
Pickles are an excellent source of Potassium, Phosphorus, Vitamin-A, Vitamin-K as well as Vitamin-C. Phosphorus keeps our bones and teeth strong. Vitamin-A is great for the eyes, immune system and a healthy pregnancy whereas Potassium is good for nerves. Vitamin-C is an antioxidant and prevents cell damage. Vitamin-K helps in blood clotting.
Benefits of Pickling Fruits and Vegetable
- Fruits and vegetables are used in the preparation of pickles offering a variety of health benefits.
- One should eat low-sodium pickle to add more nutrients into the diet. Indian pickles are good for health.
- Fruits and vegetable like mango, lemon, and carrots used in Indian pickle are antioxidants, a nutrient that helps the body to fight against free radicals.
Pros and Cons of pickle – health benefits of pickles
There are both benefits and side effects of pickles that one should know about. Excessive intake of any food item can have several negative effects but to gain health benefits, one must exercise portion control. However, consuming large amount of pickles or the salty solution in pickles can cause serious effects on the body. (health benefits of pickles)
health benefits of pickles:
- Helps control diabetes: Pickles are a healthy diet for diabetics because they are naturally low in calories and carbs. They help in controlling blood sugar levels.
- Helps in weight loss: Pickles are a nutritious snack that is low in calories and abundant in nutrients.
- Helps during pregnancy: During pregnancy, it is common to crave for something salty, which could help in reducing morning sickness. The body’s naturally increased blood volume during pregnancy increases the desire to have more sodium-rich foods. Though it’s never forbidden to have pickle until one can have a bit to curb the craving.
- Improves digestion: Our body faces many issues because of improper digestion and pickle can help in improving digestion
- Reduces stress: Good bacteria found in fermented foods like pickles helps to relax our minds and reduce stress and anxiety.
- Contains Antioxidant properties: The ingredients used in pickle contains antioxidants especially those which are rich in vitamins C.
- Boosts Immunity: Pickles have many nutrients which can help boost the immunity.
Side Effects of pickles:
- High salt: The amount of salt one consumes from pickle might just be enough for an average human for the whole day
- Increase of blood pressure: People with high blood pressure or cardiovascular health issues must avoid eating pickles.
- Water retention: Pickles tend to reduce the body’s ability to retain water. So, pickles should only be consumed in less quantities.
- High in cholesterol: Despite the taste, and the health benefits of pickles it is still harmful to our body in numerous ways like it has a good quantity of oil in it which can lead to the production of bad cholesterol and can lead to the blockage and greater heart risk.
- Pickles have listeria bacteria, which could cause food poisoning if not stored right.
- Too spicy pickles can also cause heartburn and trigger acidity.
Pickle is a great thing when it is consumed in moderation. One should eat pickle like a pickle and not like a meal then it will definitely have health benefits.